This superb book, with its unique focus on the entire marine coastal environment, is the most comprehensive and up-to-date field guide available on the southeastern Atlantic Coast and Gulf Coast. Not just for beachgoers, the book is essential for birders, whale watchers, fishers, boaters, scuba divers and snorkelers, and shoreline visitors.
Features of the guide:
- Entries on 619 coastal and ocean species, including seabirds, whales, dolphins, fish, sea turtles and other reptiles, manatee, invertebrates, coastal plants, and other marine life
- More than 1,100 color illustrations, plus 121 photographs
- 450 up-to-date range maps
- Overviews of key ecological communities, including mangroves, salt marshes, beaches, sand dunes, and coral reefs
- Special attention to threatened and endangered species
- Discussions of environmental issues, including such catastrophic events as Hurricane Katrina and the Deepwater Horizon blowout
- Excellent organizational aids for locating information quickly
Noble S. Proctor (1942-2015) was professor emeritus, biological sciences, at Southern Connecticut State University. Proctor was also a world-renowned nature and birding tour leader, leading tours all over the world, from Chile to Alaska to Southeast Asia. Patrick J. Lynch, an author, illustrator, artist, programmer, and a director of media departments, retired in 2017 after 45 years at Yale University, and is now a full-time author and artist.
Sample images from the book, as a poster: