An Italian stir-fry, over spinach tagliatelle (or spinach fettucini). Perfect for the spring, when really fresh asparagus and the sun return.
Makes: 4 servings
Time: About 40 minutes, including prep time
- 1 pound of thin-sliced boneless chicken breasts
- 2 cups of sliced white mushrooms
- 1 cup of sliced white onion
- 8 ounces, or about 2.5 cups of asparagus spears
- 2 tablespoons of fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme or oregano, or .5 teaspoons of dried oregano
- 4 cloves of sliced garlic
- .5 cup of dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 9 ounces (1 package) of spinach tagliatelle (DeCecco)
- .75 cup of unsalted chicken stock, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon of corn starch
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Soy sauce
- 2 inch by 2.5 inch piece of Parmigiano Reggiano, shaved for topping
- Prepare the onions, mushrooms, garlic, herbs, and asparagus
- Assemble all other ingredients. Stir-fries go fast, and leave little time for finishing your prep work
- Thin-slice 1 pound of boneless chicken breasts
- Set 1 gallon of water over high heat for the pasta. Make sure that the water close to boiling before you begin the stir-frying, to keep your overall timing coordinated with the chicken.
- Put 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter into a large frying pan and heat
- Place onions into a hot frying pan and stir-fry for 1.5 minutes
- Add the mushrooms and asparagus spears, and stir-fry for 1.5 minutes at maximum heat
- Add the garlic, and the fresh herbs. Saute for another minute.
- Mix the corn starch into the room-temperature chicken stock
- Add the chicken stock and wine with the veggies and stir together on high heat for about 30 seconds.
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste.
- Pour the cooked veggies onto a platter and place in a warming oven.
- Add the dried spinach tagliatelle to the boiling water. Cook for 4 minutes (or according to the package), and drain.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter to the frying pan and add the sliced chicken after the pan has been heated to almost smoking.
- Saute until the chicken is browned on each side, about 1 minute per side in a very hot pan. Sprinkle with a little soy sauce to aid the browning. Remove the chicken to a cutting board.
- Slice the chicken breast pieces into slices about .5 inch in width.
- Place the sliced chicken over the veggies on the platter, or plate individual dishes with veggies and chicken over the spinach tagliatelle.
- Shave the Parmigiano cheese and sprinkle over the serving platter, or the individually plated dishes.