No orange mush! This is a dark, rich, spicy pumpkin pie I’ve refined over the years with pinches of cloves and mace.
Makes: 1 9.5 inch pie
Time: About 80 minutes
- Your favorite pie crust recipe (mine is from Dorie Greenspan’s superb Baking)
- 2 cans pumpkin filling (15 oz)
- 2 cans (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1.5 cups brown sugar
- 1.5 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- .5 teaspoon ground cloves
- .5 teaspoon mace
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Line a pie plate with crust. The crust pattern in the photo above was done with these pie crust cutters.
- Pour in the filling, but leave at least a half inch below the crust rim. The filling will puff up about 20% during final part of baking, but then settle as it cools once out of the oven.
- Bake about 45-50 minutes at 375°F, until the filling is well puffed up and the surface is a deep golden brown.